Damage to Customer Contents
This home in Boston, MA experienced fire damage after an oven was left unattended. Our customer was the tenant in this home and had contents affected by the fire. The tenant called SERVPRO of Roslindale/Hyde Park and we were on site within an hour. Our experienced professionals were able to get right to work to clean the customer's contents. Our technicians wiped down every item, packed and sealed them so they could be safely delivered to the new location. We also added air scrubbers during the content cleaning to ensure the porous materials do not get any smoke damage.
At SERVPRO of Hyde Park/Roslindale we are committed to our customers and their belongings. We understand the importance of lost time so we work our hardest to make sure we do not cause any delays.
If your home or business has experienced water damage - call us as soon as possible 857-399-9797!